There is a chill in the air today that has me desperately searching for my cozy fall sweaters and scarves. I’m already searching for a hat pattern to cast on my needles, too. Monday was “Make a Hat Day” so I’m already a little behind! I’m thinking a simple classic 2 x 2 rib hat for myself, but for those of you itching for a bit more funk and style, I’d suggest Orpheus! It is a seriously cool hat knit in Ultra Alpaca Chunky, designed by Norah.
When Norah and I first sat down to discuss ideas for booklet #349, she presented a miniature mock up (about the size of a large strawberry) of the hat made of lined paper and a highlighter to indicate the stripes. I knew something curious and exciting would come of this, and no surprise the hat turned out just like the fabulous paper model!
It may sound complicated but it is actually pretty easy to knit and construct. It is just a striped rectangle that’s folded and seamed.
– measure 5″ up from bottom left corner and place marker
– measure 5″ to the left of the same corner and place marker
– fold between the two markers and sew button
– sew bound off edge to (highlighted) portion of left side edge
– this leaves an opening at the top
– sew opening closed
– turn the hat right side facing
– push in corner a bit, and gently sew in place
I hope this encourages you to give it a try.