Emily Explains: Creative Embroidery
Fall is creeping on in, which means it’s time for me to start pulling out my beloved woolens. I love basic hats to keep me warm throughout the fall and winter, but I’ve been thinking it might be fun to embellishing them with a bit of embroidery. I adore these vintage bathing caps from the 1950s! I’d love to wear a hat with this kind of whimsical character.
I’ve been daydreaming and sketching some of my own embroidery options…
Want to give it a try? It’s easier than it looks! Here are my tips for getting started:
- Make sure your strands of yarn isn’t too long. It is so much easier to work this way : )
- Start from the center and work out so that you have an idea of proportions.
- For more solid areas of color work, make your embroidery stitches one after another side by side until your shape begins to form.
- Slightly overlapping stitches helps make smoother embroidered lines.
- And most importantly… play with color and have fun!
I hope this inspires some of you to illustrate and embroider on some of your own knits!