Skip to content

Archive for May, 2008

center panel close-ups

As promised, close ups from the center panel:

While taking the photos, I discovered that I had one color misnamed. The lightest shade is couscous, not off white. I’ve corrected my previous post.

I hear you

I’m asking Margery to bring her blanket in to the office for some close-up photography. I was working with the photos I had, but I can see from you comments you need more! Thanks, N

the center panel

Knowing that M is crazy for B & W stripes, I started my panel with B & W stripes :) Aiming for reversibility, and reduced curling, I decided to alternate rev st st and st st. The little interchange of color that happens when one color meets another on a “garter” row is a fav of mine. Figuring on the recommended gauge of 5 sts/in, I cast on 80 sts (16 sts x 5 sts/ inch). Four rows of st st alternate with rows of reverse stst – change colors and stitch at the same time.

I worked the stripes until I was good and bored and it looked like I had enough – no grand plan, no special proportions. Next, Mustard made for a nice contrast and I began a woven pattern. One row of st st made a good base before beginning the actual stitch part. I was trying to think like Margery, which a was freeing and fun. So, on the set up row, I worked 10 sts each stst and garter a few times and then started to mix it up, throwing in a few fives and later a 15 and a few fives to round it out again. I worked as established for a few inches and then reversed the stst and garter. That repeated a few times and then worked a few blocks that were half as high to balance out the narrower vertical bits. Eventually I ran out of mustard, went back to B & W stripes for a bit, worked black in moss st for a bit and threw in some more stripes. When I ran out of black I switched to the lovely heathered warm brown shade (woodland mix), worked one base row in st st and chilled out on some more moss st. Un peu bored, I went back to alternating st st and rev st st , then back to moss, stopping when my 60″ was up. All in all, good masterpiece theatre or NOVA knitting.

Pithy instructions for M’s birthday blanket

I’m sorry I wasn’t able to get to this sooner, but finally, I have time to write start on “pithy instructions” (as Elizabeth Zimmerman used to say) for the afghan I showed a while back, Margery’s birthday blanket.  Be forewarned, we didn’t plan this blanket as something to be written out and published. In a greatly freeing exercise, Adina, Carla and I each poured our creative hearts into something for Margery without giving a thought to how difficult it might be to describe or reproduce. It was all about improvising as we went along. With that in mind, I can give you clues to how it all happened, but I don’t have an exact materials list or precise instructions of any kind.

First, I pick the pallette of Ultra Alpaca with Margery’s love of African textiles in mind:
…pitch black…

…mustard…

…charcoal mix…

…tiger’s eye mix…

…couscous…

…brown rice…

…woodland mix

Each of us was aiming for a strip 16″ wide and 60″ long.
Adina used: brown rice, black, tiger’s eye mix and woodland mix for her collage of mitered squares. I used woodland mix, white, mustard, and black, and when the black ran out, charcoal mix for my textured stripes and blocks. Carla kept it simple with black, tiger’s eye mix and brown rice in her homage to Marianne Isager’s, “Sierra Leone” sweater (more about that later.)

Tomorrow I will attempt to explain the thought process behind the knitting and design the center section, knit by yours truly.

 

 

walk with the fishes

Here’s a 20 second, silly bit o’ movie I took with my camera at the Pitti Filati exhibition in February.

That’s me giggling. Work can be fun.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 554 other followers